MPC52xx: sysfs failure on adding new device driver

Grant Likely glikely at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 02:06:32 EST 2005

On 6/10/05, Sylvain Munaut <tnt at 246tnt.com> wrote:
> Hi Grant
>
> > +     /* Assign driver names to PSC devices */
> > +     ppc_sys_platform_devices[MPC52xx_PSC1].name = "mpc52xx-psc.uart";
> > +     ppc_sys_platform_devices[MPC52xx_PSC2].name = "mpc52xx-psc.uart";
> > +     ppc_sys_platform_devices[MPC52xx_PSC3].name = "mpc52xx-psc.spi";
>
> Yes, I kinda like that. That maybe the cleanest way, just 1 line of code
> per device and when no subfn is assigned, nothing is loaded.
>
> I don't really like messing manually with the ppc_sys_platform
> "internals" outside of the ppc_sys code, but maybe creating a call like
>
> ppc_sys_assign_subfn(MPC52xx_PSC1,"uart");
>

> and place it in the ppc_sys code so that other platforms havin such
> "multi usage" device all have an uniform way of handling that. Galak ?
Hmm, yes...  I like this better.  I was also uncomfortable with
messing with the table directly.  A function like that can make sure
that the table is not modified after it is registered with the
platform bus; or if it is, make sure that a driver has not yet been
assigned and that sysfs is properly updated.  It would protect against
doing something stupid like:

ppc_sys_platform_devices[MPC52xx_MSCAN1].name = "mpc52xx-psc.uart";

g.