MPC52xx: sysfs failure on adding new device driver

Grant Likely glikely at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 00:54:42 EST 2005

On 6/9/05, Sylvain Munaut <tnt at 246tnt.com> wrote:

> Grant Likely wrote:
> >>From what I can tell, I should be able to register more than one
> > driver for a particular device name (mpc52xx_psc).
>
> I always assumed that yes.
> But now looking more closely, I'm not sure what I based that assumption
> on ... And if not the case that's indeed a problem because that's what's
> used to support the different function supported by the PSCs.
I was assuming so too, and it seems that the device structure would
support it.  Who would know the answer to this?

> > Otherwise I would
> > need to change arch/ppc/syslib/mpc52xx_devices.c to have a different
> > name for each psc.
>
> No you shouldn't have to touch that. The
> mpc52xx_match_psc_function(idx, "spi") is there to know which driver
> should be used for what PSC and you're using it correctly so it _should_
> work.
I thought so, if I disable the mpc52xx_uart driver then my driver will
register correctly.  I agree that it is not desireable to touch
mpc52xx_devices.c

> > If I change the sysfs code to ignore the failure
> > to create a directory then the driver seems to register fine.
>
> A "better" quick-fix would be to change the platform_match
> (drivers/platform.c) to support "sub-fonctions". For example when using
> mpc52xx_psc.spi it only matches what's before the dot (if any) with the
> device name.
... so that a different directory will be created in sysfs for each
driver?  That's got possibilities.

> That changes the semantic of the driver names for the platform bus
> however, making the dot a "special" char.
Who needs to be asked about this?  Should I take this discussion over
the the LKML?

Thanks,
g.