consistent_alloc() on 82xx

Alex Zeffertt ajz at cambridgebroadband.com
Wed Jun 8 19:29:38 EST 2005

Hi,

I need to allocate un-cached memory on an 82xx and consistent_alloc() in
arch/ppc/mm/cachemap.c appears to be the thing I need.  However, this
code only seems to be built for 8xx and 4xx platforms, and not 6xx
platforms. Specifically, it is built if CONFIG_NOT_COHERENT_CACHE is
defined, which is the case if

	CONFIG_8xx = y, or
	CONFIG_4xx = y, but not if
	CONFIG_6xx = y

Does anybody know why it isn't built for 6xx cores?

I'm working on the ATM driver and it seems that certain external memory
areas accessed by the PQII CPM by-pass the cache.  So it would seem to
me that CONFIG_NOT_COHERENT_CACHE would actually be applicable for these
processors too....

Alex