kernel ported from ELDK 3.0 hangs (loops in idled()) on my custom MPC870 Board

Edward Hong edward.qin.hong at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 09:40:42 EST 2005

On 6/3/05, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
> In message <21fb73bc05060316102325f94d at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
> > I am trying to bring up Linux on a custom MPC870 Board using ELDK 3.0.
>
> Why are you using old (not to say ancient) tools?

I had the tool ready for a while. After porting u-boot, I realized
that there had been several new tool releases.

> > The ported kernel from ELDK 3.0 hangs (loops in idled()) and the kernel_thread
> > init never gets started!???
>
> How do you know that init didn't  run?  Runningthe  idle  loop  is  a
> perfectly normal situation.

My debug lines at the beginning of init never get printed on the
console or in the log_buf.

> Are you sure that your kernel configuration is sensible? For example,
> did you configure a console port that matches your hardware? Did  you
> configure the serial ports (SMC / SCC) at all?

I am positive about the kernel configuration. SMC1 was configured as my
console.

Any suggestions for debugging?

> Best regards,
>
> Wolfgang Denk
>
> --
> Software Engineering:  Embedded and Realtime Systems,  Embedded Linux
> I read part of it all the way through.

Thank you!

Edward