[RFC] handle access to non-present IO ports on 8xx

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Fri Jun 3 08:11:01 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 14:02 -0300, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 12:46:32PM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 13:50 -0300, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> >
> > Hrm... removing a PCMCIA card triggers mchecks ? that is bad... With
> > "proper" PCMCIA controllers, those are swallowed properly when the card
> > is removed. The eating of the machine check is a bit too hackish to my
> > taste... Better is to "not do that" by making sure the legacy crap isn't
> > trying  to tap unexisting ports, but then, if PCMCIA is also a
> > problem...
>
> Well, cardmgr calls the driver's shutdown/close routine as soon as
> the card is removed. Some of those methods write to IO registers in
> the process (eg net/pcmcia/pcnet_cs.c).
>
> I dont see any elegant change that could be done in PCMCIA.

I know, the thing is, on platforms with a "classical" PCI<->PCMCIA
bridge, the bridge will not issue machine checks when the card is
removed. I don't know if that is possible with your HW setup, I suppose
you are hooking PCMCIA directly to the CPU IO bus ...

> One possibility that comes to mind would be to enforce the rule
> that drivers should not writeout in case of a removal event,

They can't know, they get the removal even too late. The driver may be
in the middle of writing when you remove the card. If there is no HW way
to prevent the machine check, then you'll need software recovery.

> but that does not sound feasible to me: It just looks too messy,
> however I have no good argument against it.
>
> Well, its restricted to 8xx (maybe 32-bit PPC) with PCMCIA, so its
> just not worth the trouble?

Hehe... dunno.

> Hmmm... I'll look that up. My limited testing on HW in question does not
> exhibit longer MCE delays than "twi/isync/nop" sequence - actually, it is
> always triggered during the IO access instruction itself.

I suppose the 8xx may actually be quite synchronous on IOs then...

> Where can I find information about write posting on 8xx? Is there a
> term for it used in PPC documentation? I can't find anything...

Well, do you have a store queue ? What does the 8xx manual says about
ordering & queueing of non cacheable loads & stores ? Maybe the chip is
fully synchronous on IOs ?