RFC: PHY Abstraction Layer II

Stephen Hemminger shemminger at osdl.org
Thu Jun 2 07:41:23 EST 2005

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 15:45:26 -0500
Andy Fleming <afleming at freescale.com> wrote:

> On May 31, 2005, at 12:59, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
>
> > Here are some patches:
> >     * allow phy's to be modules
> >     * use driver owner for ref count
> >     * make local functions static where ever possible
>
> I agree with all these.
>
> >     * get rid of bus read may sleep implication in comment.
> >       since you are holding phy spin lock it better not!!

On a different note, I am not sure that using sysfs/kobject bus object
is the right thing for this object.  Isn't the phy instance really just
an kobject whose parent is the network device?  I can't see a 1 to N
relationship between phy bus and phy objects existing.

The main use I can see for being a driver object is to catch suspend/resume,
and wouldn't you want that to be tied to the network device.