How to load a linux kernel under vxworks bootloader (PPC860 board)

Esben Nielsen simlo at phys.au.dk
Thu Jul 28 17:47:26 EST 2005

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, Frank wrote:

> --- FCG WANG Baohua <Baohua.WANG at alcatel-sbell.com.cn> wrote:
>
> > Dear All:
> >   I want to boot a linux 2.4.25 kernel under vxworks
> > bootloader. When I using flat mode(0x200000 -->  0x10000)
> > kernel  uncompressed ELF format ( vmlinux ),
> >  and download it using TFTP of vxworks, it print the "starting
> > at 0x1000 ...." and  freeze.  No input or output on serial
> > port.
> >  The version of vxworks is 5.3.1.
> >  can you give me some detail advice or give me a tool to slove
> > it? thanks !

I have done it on a MPC5200 with a vxWorks 5.5 bootsector with ethernet
support: I just boot over FTP.  Give it the Linux kernel in elf-format,
the bootsector doesn't care, _what_ the code actually is, it just loads
and run it.

For vxWorks <= 5.4 I believe coff is used instead of elf - at least on
some architectures. Then you have a problem, because the kernel isn't
compiled to coff :-(

Esben