AW: AW: AW: initrd rootfs ramdisk

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Jul 22 09:33:02 EST 2005

In message <Pine.WNT.4.61.0507211609080.2672 at holyoke.labs.mot.com> you wrote:

> Sigh...found it, after weeks of on-and-off work...  Our board has 64 MB of
> RAM but I'm passing "mem=32M" to the kernel because we want our app to man-
> age the high 32 MB.
>
> U-Boot defaults to copying an initrd into the highest available RAM.  That
> put it in an area outside of Linux's knowledge, D'OH.  All I had to do was
> set U-Boot's 'initrd_high' env var and things work.

Note: if you want the  content  of  this  reserved  area  to  survice
warmboots  you  can  enable  the  "protected  RAM"  feature in U-Boot
(CONFIG_PRAM), and it will not touch this area  at  all.  Useful  for
things like pramfs for example :-)

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Never worry about theory as long as  the  machinery  does  what  it's
supposed to do.                                      - R. A. Heinlein