How reliable is jffs2 really (denx cvs devel kernel)?

David Jander david.jander at protonic.nl
Tue Jul 19 18:21:51 EST 2005

Hi,

I have seen some strange problems with jffs2. I have been victim of the BUG()
in fs/jffs2/gc.c, line 139. I have been battling with kgdb to see what
happens there. Here are my findings until now (I am still working on this):

c->checked_ino starts counting from 0
c->highest_ino is 92 (????)

Isn't this a little low?

Flash partition size is 15Mbyte, it probably has been mistreated by writing
large files (logfiles) line by line, wasting a lot of space until it gets
almost full.
When debugging the for(;;) loop, used size starts from a few kb counting up,
dirty size is around 5 Mb and unchecked size is about 9.9Mb, so when it gets
past inode 92 it most probably has still a lot of unchecked space.===> BUG().

Googleing for this bug, I have found discouraging e-mails (luckily most of
them from 2003 or older) saying that this is common and nobody (back then)
seemed to know where it came from. Bugs in fjjs2 code, etc....

This is scaring me.

Anybody knows more about this problem, why it is caused, and hopefully how to
prevent this?

Thanks,

--
David Jander