linux and sram

Jörn Engel joern at wohnheim.fh-wedel.de
Thu Jul 14 08:20:22 EST 2005

On Wed, 13 July 2005 22:34:09 +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> In message <20050713153231.GA17534 at mail19d.g19.rapidsite.net> you wrote:
> >
> > If we are using U-boot and populate the CFG_SRAM_SIZE and CFG_SRAM_BASE
> > values, and makes sure this is passed into the kernel.
> >
> > Does Linux 2.4.2x+ have any direct support for this? Is it just added into
> > the regular memory pool? Does it get used for specific tasks?
>
> The standard Linux kernel knows nothing about SRAM.
>
> > Or is this set aside for custom drivers?
>
> Indeed. You need a driver to support SRAM.

Some people use slram/phram for that purpose.  It creates an mtd
(memory technology device) which can be translated into either a block
or a char device.  Quite sufficient for most uses.

Jörn

--
To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we
are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic