MPC5200 Rev. B

Eric N. Johnson (ACD) ejohnson at acdstar.com
Tue Jul 12 02:43:36 EST 2005

mgberry at ellipticity.com wrote:
>Has anyone experienced any issues with the Rev. B silicon for the
>MPC5200.  We are seeing Linux hanging and are suspecting the SDRAM
>errata for Rev. B.  If we disable the cache this seems to improve
>but will still crash over time in heavy loads.  We have not seen any
>of these type issues with the original rev.

Are you sure you have revision B of the MPC5200?  Freescale has
announced a "B" version, but I don't believe that any of them have
hit the public yet.  There may be some engineering grade samples out
there. (Let me know if you really do have "B" parts.  Freescale has
been telling me "real soon now" since last year)

More likely you're seeing the "B" in the part number, as in
MPC5200CBV400.  The chip revision is the "mask set" on the next line
of printing.  The latest public version I know of is L25R.

The L25R version has a major bug that you basically can't use two CS
pins for SDRAM, and the DDR implimentation is borderline at best.

Exactly what problems are seeing?  What hardware platform do you run
on?  We're using an MPC5200 with SDR-SDRAM running at 132MHz (two 16
bit SDRAM devices), and haven't seen any issues.

I don't know what bootloader you're using, but I believe uboot has
basic memory testing built in.  This would allow you to isolate
memory issues from software issues.

Eric

Eric Johnson, Electrical Engineer
Advanced Communication Design