initrd rootfs ramdisk

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jul 5 18:18:54 EST 2005

In message <000001c5812b$eb088c70$f201a8c0 at SN7606> you wrote:

> i solved my problem last problem and now i get console output. :) So next
> step is to setup the root file system. I want to use an image loaded into
> ramdisk, but seems i´m missing something. I´m using u-boot to load the
> ramdisk and linux kernel. Actually i don´t know how the kernel gets the
> location of the loaded ramdisk. I only added the support (see Kernel

It gets passed in registers r4 (start address) and r5 (end address).

> configuration) and the command line parameter root=/dev/ram rw. But the boot
> command arguments from u-boot seems not recognized from the linux kernel.

But the kernel prints the boot parameters just fine.

> Should the option CONFIG_BOOT_LOAD point on the address of the ramdisk? I

No.

> hope someone could help me to trigger out my problem.

Are you sure that you have ext2 filesystem support  enabled  in  your
kernel configuration?

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
I perceive a possibility of an immediate  chronological  sequence  of
events which includes a violence.
                        - Terry Pratchett, _The Dark Side of the Sun_