MPC85xx DMA support for Kernel 2.6?

Clemens Koller clemens.koller at anagramm.de
Fri Jul 1 01:12:16 EST 2005

Hello!

I am planning to use DMA/burst access for copying large chunks of data
(100MBytes) from the Local Bus (UPM accessed SRAM) to System Memory (DDR)
as fast as possible (200MBytes/s). (As you can guess, that's a framegrabber).

As far as I have seen, the DMA engines of the MPC85xx (fsl-dma) are not
supported in the classical way (dma_request(), free_dma()) in the kernel 2.6.x.
The memory allocators in arch/ppc/dma-mapping.c seem to be usable,
but there is no valuable dma support yet (true?).

I can program the DMA Controllers in my MPC8540 on my own to achieve what I want
but it would be great to get/produce/stick with as much cross-platform reusable
code as possible.

Is there any ongoing work to put DMA support for the mpc85xx and similar
devices into the kernel? Is there any ongoing work in this area
or is somebody working with the fsl-dma and can publish some code and
share some ideas?

Best greets,

Clemens Koller
R&D Imaging Devices