[RFC] Patch to Abstract Ethernet PHY support (using driver model)

Andy Fleming afleming at freescale.com
Sat Jan 15 08:00:20 EST 2005

>> In fact, we use different switch chips connected to PPC4xx directly.
>> In this situation, in my NAPI IBM EMAC driver I just have special
>> "PHY-less" case which is trivial "fixed settings" one. And all this
>> PHY lib is completely unneeded bloat.
>
> Wrt. the proposed PHY lib, I agree.  Didn't even bother to look at the
> code, it's mere size said enough.

Hmm... Before I spend too much time revising based on previous comments
ebs made, is there a general consensus that the code is much too large?
  I know there's a lot in there, but the goal is to simplify PHY
management for all ethernet drivers, new and old, and thus reduce code
size, overall.  Is this code heading in the right direction?  Does it
do too much?  Too little?

Andy Fleming
Open Source Team
Freescale Semiconductor, Inc