ELDK on a PowerPC host machine?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Jan 15 03:07:38 EST 2005

In message <20050114155131.22836.qmail at web53809.mail.yahoo.com> you wrote:
> I noticed that ELDK from denx does not support running
> on a PowerPC host machine like the Power G4 or G5.
> When I tried rebuilding it on a Power G4 with
> YellowDog installed on it, it complained that the
> PowerPC host machine is not supported. Why is this

Correct. PPC host are not supported yet. Also please  not  that  only
RedHat-7.3 will work as a build host without additional tweaking.

> host architecture not supported? I also found out that

Little demand? We have seen less than 5 requests for this so far.

> MontaVista does not support the PowerPC host
> architecture anymore which they did a while ago. What
> seems to be the real reason for not supporting this?

Probably the same reason: little demand.

Well: the ELDK is free software -  if  you  fix  the  existing  build
problems  and  send  me  a  patch I promise to check it in on the CVS
server (as long as it doesn't break anything). But don't expect  this
to be an easy job.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large  depo-
sit in my name at a Swiss Bank.                         - Woody Allen