Help with PPC440GX + MontaVista + uBoot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jan 12 22:37:03 EST 2005

In message <91B22F93A880FA48879475E134D6F0BE316B8C at CA1EXCLV02.adcorp.kla-tencor.com> you wrote:

> PIBS isn't what we want to use long term, we'd rather use uBoot.  I've
> downloaded and built the latest version of uBoot (1.1.2).  I then
> created a multi-file image with mkimage.  I can download it via TFTP but
> when I start to run it strange/bad things happen:
>
> 	Kernel command line: ip=3Don console=3DttyS0,115200 root=3D/dev/ram rw
> 	Warning: real time clock seems stuck!
> 	Calibrating delay loop... 37.27 BogoMIPS
>
> ...now the RTC is know to work and the mips calculation is seriously
> off.  Then...

That's a FAQ. Please see the part about "Bad definition of the
bd_info structure" in
http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/LinuxHangsAfterUncompressingKernel

> I realize that ocotea.c will have to be modified to grab command line
> options from NVRAM (uBoot) instead of FLASH (PIBS) but that doesn't seem

Wrong. U-Boot (please mind the spelling) does not pass  command  line
options in NVRAM. They get passed in RAM.

> to explain why the internal timer is way off and the ethernet PHYs can't
> be found.

Because you use a wrong definition of bd_info.  Delete  the  existing
definition and include asm/ppcboot.h in your board config file.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Bradley's Bromide: If computers get too  powerful,  we  can  organize
them into a committee - that will do them in.