MPC8260 strange virtual addresses returned by kmalloc()

Laurent Lagrange lagrange at fr.oleane.com
Fri Jan 7 04:42:50 EST 2005

Hi Eugene

My PAGE_OFFSET is defined as follow :
#define PAGE_OFFSET  CONFIG_KERNEL_START     in
./linux/include/asm-ppc/page.h
#define CONFIG_KERNEL_START (0xc0000000)     in
./linux/include/linux/autoconf.h

After reading kmalloc manual pages, I am in doubt.
My call is like
if ((tmpbuffer = kmalloc(128 * 1024, GFP_KERNEL)) == NULL){
    return(1);
}

This is the first time, I kmallocate a 128KB buffer which seems to be the
max
contiguous memory space which can be allocated.
Is it true on PPC ? Some PPC drivers seems to only allocate multiple
PAGE_SIZE (4KB) buffers.

My allocated buffer is intended to be used for DMA accesses.
Must I add the GFP_DMA flag to force the kmalloc to use contiguous memory ?

The Linux code for vmalloc is based on successive kmalloc calls, but I don't
know
what the kmalloc do when the desired size is greater than the PAGE_SIZE.

What is the right way to allocate big (128KB ???) DMA buffers ?
The manual pages say "Only for DMA kmalloc or __get_dma_pages() has to be
used"

The global variable is well in the loaded module.
OK, I use a kmalloc for the buffer instead of using the global variable.

Thanks for your ideas.
Laurent