CPU15 errata workaround for 8xx by WD

Joakim Tjernlund Joakim.Tjernlund at lumentis.se
Mon Jan 3 08:58:15 EST 2005

> Dear Joakim,
>
> in message <BCEFJBPJCGFCNMMMIDBHOEPBCJAA.Joakim.Tjernlund at lumentis.se> you wrote:
> >
> > Had a look at your CPU15 errata workaround for 8xx and I have a comment
> > or two:
> >
> > 1) I think you should make the sysctl support a compile time option
> >    as the overhead for sysctl support in the TLB handler is 6 instr. when
> >    the fix itself is only 4 instr.
>
> You are right. For a permanent patch that would be better  -  in  our
> case  it  was important to be able to turn on and off this workaround
> dynamically with exactly the same kernel binary. We  wanted  to  have
> real  proof that the effects we saw were caused by CPU15 erratum, and
> that the workaround fixes these problems.

Have you done any performance measurements with with/without the CPU15
patch? To always invalidate the previous and the next TLB(plus the extra code in the
TLB handler) seems expensive.

> > 2) You placed the workaround in the middle of the CPU6 workaround which will
> >    disable the CPU6 workaround(I think). Move it before the #ifdef CONFIG_8xx_CPU6
> >    and you should be fine.
>
> I think you are right.
>
> > 3) Your test program uses the dcbst and dcbi instr. and these are buggy as they do not
> >    update the DAR register in the TLB exceptions. I guess you made sure that such errors
> >    will not happen?
>
> Ummm... I think so.

Me too, but I only had a quick look.

> > 4) The CPU15 bug has been around for years I think, what made it show up now? New toolchains?
>
> No, this is not a toolchain issue. It's a processor problem.
>
> I have to admit that I didn't believe our customer when  he  reported
> that  he has problems that were caused by the CPU15 bug - I never saw
> this on any other 8xx processor before, and as you say  it  has  been
> mentioned  in  all errata sheets I can remember. As far as I can tell
> it is only the MPC870/885 duet family of processors where this  CPU15
> bug actually hits. I have no idea why.

That explains why I never seen this before, thanks.

A better fix would be to make the toolchain insert an extra NOP if
the last instr. in a page is a branch, but that will take some time.
Any GCC people on this list?

    Regards
            Joakim