Problems porting to a custom PPC405GPr board using a vanilla 2.6.10 kernel

Niklaus Giger niklaus.giger at member.fsf.org
Sun Feb 27 09:28:23 EST 2005

Hi

I would like to port Linux to a custom PPC405GPr board. Its hardware runs
vxWorks fine for more than a year.

Within a few days I had a working U-boot image, which allows me to download
via TFTP Linux-kernels.

I started with a vanilla 2.6.10 kernel, added the entries in the
arch/ppc/platforms/4xx/Makefile and Kconfig, two file hcu3.c and hcu3.h which
are very minimal. The board has no PCI and I do not want to add support for
the CFI-Flashs or the onboard CAN-Chips.
Enabling the SERIAL_TEXT_DEBUG I got the following output
## Transferring control to Linux (at address 00000000) ...
id mach(): done
MMU:enter
MMU:hw init
MMU:mapin
MMU:setio
hcu3_map_io
MMU:exit
setup_arch: enter ngng
setup_arch: bootmem
ocp: exit
arch: exit
If I attach a BDI, I get a lot of "- TARGET: target has entered debug mode"
lines and then
    Target state      : debug mode
    Debug entry cause : unconditional debug event
    Current PC        : 0xfffffffc
    Current CR        : 0x00000000
    Current MSR       : 0x00000000
    Current LR        : 0xc019a15c

The corresponding line from my System.map are
c0199e20 t free_bootmem_core
c0199ecc t __alloc_bootmem_core
c019a278 t free_all_bootmem_core
c019a4c8 T init_bootmem_node

My board has no RTC. Is this a problem?

Should I start with another kernel? Can anybody point me to a known good
kernel version for a specific PPC405 board?

Any hint would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

--
Niklaus Giger