Mounta Vista Linux prompt on serial console

srinivas.surabhi at wipro.com srinivas.surabhi at wipro.com
Wed Feb 16 00:34:52 EST 2005

My replies in blue tagged with surabhi

-----Original Message-----
From: wd at denx.de [mailto:wd at denx.de]
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 5:24 PM
To: Srinivas Surabhi (WT01 - EMBEDDED & PRODUCT ENGINEERING SOLUTIONS)
Cc: linuxppc-embedded at ozlabs.org
Subject: Re: Mounta Vista Linux prompt on serial console

In message
<EF9B29C78F41FA488927FCBC7750AF0E011DA5C5 at hyd-mdp-msg.wipro.com> you
wrote:

> Today somehow after removing many options I build the kernel and able

> succeed till the VFS: "Mounted root (cramfs filesystem) readonly." But

> then I am seeming "kernel panic". Actually what option has to be given

> for init. We have given init=/bin/sh but no luck.

You have to provide a working root filesystem in the first place.

[surabhi --- start] could you please guide me how to provide a working
file system on SDRAM before decompressing the Linux Image on SDRAM. Is
it really related to init process failed.

Is the below doesn't mean that the mounted one is working one ?

"VFS: Mounted root (cramfs filesystem) readonly.

 Mounted devfs on /dev "

[surabhi --- end]

> One more observation is that the U-boot bootargs are overwriting the

> Kernel boot arguments given at the time of build. Even though using

This is normal. If you use U-boot  there  is  no  need  to  have  any

pre-compiled  boot arguments; more: there is no need to use the whole

bootstrap loader which supplied these precompiled bootargs.

> setenv I removed the bootargs but still the kernel arguments given at

> the time of build using devrocket are not still active.

Just define the required bootargs in U-Boot.

> VFS: Mounted root (cramfs filesystem) readonly.

> Mounted devfs on /dev

> Freeing unused kernel memory: 60k init

> Warning: unable to open an initial console.

> Error -3 while decompressing!

Do not ignore this error. How big is your cramfs iage? How  much  RAM

do you have?

> 0015fd20(1928974736)->00141000(4096)

Is there any chance that you built your cramfs image on a x08 (or any

other little-endian) system and forgot  to  give  the  "-r"  (reverse

endian-ness of filesystem) option to mkcramfs??

Best regards,

See us @ Embedded World, Nuremberg, Feb 22 - 24,  Hall 10.0 Booth 310

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de

In the strict scientific sense we all feed on death -- even

vegetarians.

      -- Spock, "Wolf in the Fold", stardate 3615.4

Confidentiality Notice

you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender at Wipro or Mailadmin at wipro.com immediately