[linux-cirrus] Re: Cirrus Logic MaverickCrunch support

Matt Porter mporter at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Feb 2 03:33:52 EST 2005

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 04:09:57PM +0200, Bora ?ahin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Torben> I'm fairly sure that decoding of
> Torben> mpeg2 video in most cases would be too slow to consider without the help
> Torben> of some kind of graphical decoder chip.
>
> Unless you use some powered CPU. As it would require to give an example, MPC8540(667-800 MHz) from
> PPC family seems ideal for it as a SoC solution...

Even then, this depends completely on what else the platform has to
do as well as what profile/level of MPEG-2 you are decoding. Something
like a ~800Mhz e500 core has no chance of handling a main profile high
level MPEG-2 stream for playback (typically 720p/1080i video). A high-end
(1.45Ghzish) 7457 with an optimized altivec mpeg2 software decode library
and a video card with iDCT assist is about the minimum PPC for these
applications.

This is why most consumer products are using something with a decoder,
like the integrated one in the IBM STBxxxx chips or the Sigma Designs
decoders.

-Matt