Pointers to Linux portability docs

Clemens Koller clemens.koller at anagramm.de
Tue Feb 1 21:00:38 EST 2005

Hi, Eugene!

Eugene K wrote:
> We are starting development on Freescale 8540 (or
> 8548, depending on how ready the silicon is), and
> would highly appreciate any pointers to documentation
> on Linux portability onto PPC / E500 core.

Check Freescale's Website - there is a vendor list somewhere...
Check Denx' Website.

Don't worry about Linux. The guys here did a great job! 8-)
I am successfully running Kernel 2.4.2x and 2.6.10 on an
embedded Board with the MPC8540 - with just very little
tweaking from the official Kernel.

Have you decided what development System/HW you want
to use? There are several vendors who sell ready to use
854x boards with different add-ons and flavors.

Additionally, if it comes to some more add-ons (i.e.
Graphics and IDE on PCI you might re-use some of my
ideas.

> I've been in embedded OS / hardware area for many
> years, but a 100% newbie when it comes to Linux.

Welcome! And prepare for a steep learning curve. :-)

Clemens Koller
R&D Imaging Devices
Anagramm GmbH
Rupert-Mayer-Str. 45/1