[Socket-can] Re: Which CAN driver to port to for PPC

Jan Kiszka kiszka at rts.uni-hannover.de
Fri Dec 30 02:12:20 EST 2005

Robert Schwebel wrote:
> In december, we have made a synchronisation meeting with the VW people
> who made the initial port for 2.4; they are more focussed on having
> higher level transport protocols ontop of the "raw" socket interface we
> currently use. During that process we have reviewed the user interface
> with regard to their use cases, so it will have to be changed a little
> bit before we have something which is in a state to be posted on lkml.

Beyond the outstanding comparably minor API adjustments, we furthermore
discussed first ideas how to define the lowest interface, i.e. the CAN
network device layer. That should be done in a way which makes porting
CAN low-level drivers between the standard kernel and a real-time Linux
CAN stack trivial. That's a unique chance (compared to the situation of
RTnet e.g.), so we should take it.

This real-time stack is to be derived from the RT-SJA1000 driver
Wolfgang pointed at. It is already based on an abstraction layer (RTDM)
that makes it portable across many of the various RT-Linux variant. So
far this includes support for Xenomai and RTAI, RTLinux/GPL is planning
to adopt RTDM as well. This means we could end up with portable CAN
applications and drivers, RT and non-RT!

As Robert said, it "just" requires some resources for implementing
this... ;)

Jan