[RFC] genalloc != generic DEVICE memory allocator

Andrey Volkov avolkov at varma-el.com
Fri Dec 23 02:44:40 EST 2005

Pantelis Antoniou wrote:
> Andrey Volkov wrote:
>
>> Hi Pantelis,
>>
>> Pantelis Antoniou wrote:
>>
>>> Andrey Volkov wrote:
>>>

> [snip]
>

>>> Hi Andrey,
>>>
>>> FYI, on arch/ppc/lib/rheap.c theres an implementation of a remote heap.
>>>
>>> It is currently used for the management of freescale's CPM1 & CPM2
>>> internal
>>> dual port RAM.
>>>
>>> Take a look, it might be what you have in mind.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Pantelis
>>

>> Thanks I missed it (and small wonder! :( ).
>>
>> Andrew, Is somebody count HOW MANY dev specific implementation
>> of buddy/first-fit allocators now in kernel?
>>

> Yes, it is indeed messy.
>
> The rheap implementation is generic enough and I believe can fit most of
> the
> special memory allocators needs. If you'd like I could move it somewhere
> generic and test it.

I'm sure lib/ will be appropriate place. and something like
"DON'T TRY REINVENT WHEEL, TRY FIX EXISTS" in documentation/ :).

Now couple word about rheap: I understand why you are use static
alignment in allocator, but its very specialized for CPM. IMO, align
must be a param of xx_alloc. For ex: device may demand alignment by
8 bytes, which ok until... you are try map this memory to the user
space (don't shoot at me, remember about framebuffer & co).

--
Regards
Andrey Volkov