MPC8272ADS stability issues

Dmytro Bablinyuk dmytro.bablinyuk at rftechnology.com.au
Tue Dec 20 16:22:38 EST 2005

> Does anyone have any news regarding any resolution of this issue?

We cannot guarantee that this is solution for everybody BUT:
We had similar problems with our MPC8272ADS and this morning we
discovered that core voltage exceeds recommended values - the core
voltage on 8272ADS was 1.6V instead of 1.5V.
Where according to MPC8272EC, Rev. 1.2, 05/2005 page 7

--8<--
Table 4. Recommended Operating Conditions

Caution: These are the recommended and tested operating conditions.
Proper operation outside of these conditions is not guaranteed.

Rating Symbol Value Unit
Core supply voltage VDD 1.425 – 1.575 V
--8<--

We run memory test, as for now, for almost 9 hours and so far without
problems. Though before board was crashing every 1-4 hours. We don't
know whether this is source of the problem - we will keep testing it.

Power supply for MPC8272ADS generates ± 5V, ± 12V, +3.3V - they are all ok.
Core voltage is generated by U45 on the 8272ADS board. There is a
trimmer pot RP1 for adjusting the core voltage - we never checked it
before since we assumed that it should be set properly by factory. But
today we found that U45 gives 1.6V instead of 1.5V, which is outside of
recommended values and datasheet says "Proper operation outside of these
conditions is not guaranteed".
So, check you core voltage (U45) - it might help.

Dmytro