eldk bug?how to fix

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Dec 19 01:44:53 EST 2005

In message <4440987.1134894054475.JavaMail.postfix at mx3.mail.sohu.com> you wrote:
> [root at localhost atmlz]# ppc_6xx-gcc -c -o temp atm_aalx.c
> atm_aalx.c: In function `main':
> atm_aalx.c:201: warning: return type of `main' is not `int'
> /tmp/cciJlehe.s: Assembler messages:
> /tmp/cciJlehe.s:916: Error: unsupported relocation against r3
> /tmp/cciJlehe.s:917: Error: unsupported relocation against r3
> /tmp/cciJlehe.s:917: Error: unsupported relocation against r3
> /tmp/cciJlehe.s:918: Error: unsupported relocation against r3
> /tmp/cciJlehe.s:918: Error: unsupported relocation against r3
> /tmp/cciJlehe.s:919: Error: unsupported relocation against r3
> /tmp/cciJlehe.s:3655: Error: unsupported relocation against r3

Are you by any chance using inline  assembler  code  in  your  source
file?  This  is  the  only  explanation  I  have,  since GCC does not
generate "r3" references in it's assembler code.

It would have been a good idea if you had included your  source  code
so we could see what you are doing...

> [root at localhost atmlz]# ppc_6xx-gcc -S -o temp.s atm_aalx.c
> [root at localhost atmlz]# vi temp.s
>         stw 0,4(9)
> .L36:
> #APP
>          mfmsr r3
>          ori r3,r3,0x8000
>          andi. r3,r3,0xffbf
>          mtmsr r3
> #NO_APP
>         lwz 11,0(1)

I see. This is your own assembler code, not something generated  from
C source code.

> I must change those "r3" to "3" manually.
> How to fix?

Don't write incorrect assembler code,  or  use  the  required  header
files (like ppc_asm.tmpl).

And while we are at it: be careful not to try privileged instructions
in user space.

This is your own error, not a problem with ELDK.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
If I had to live my life again,  I'd  make  the  same  mistakes, only
sooner.                                          -- Tallulah Bankhead