Unable to open an initial console

Addison Baldwin addison.baldwin at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 07:01:16 EST 2005

I was sucessful to port U-Boot to our 8272 board. Now I'm experiencing
a problem:

Our Kernel hangs with the message that says it was trasnferring
control to linux. A post morten analyzes indicated that it stopped at
"Unable to open an initial console" in the memory sapce where console
output should be out (in the sdram, like I had found somewhere in this
list, how to do it).

I have checked the bootargs values, it is ok:
bootargs root=/dev/ram console=ttyS0,115200

 We also checked our "/dev" and there was a link to console, pointing
ttyS0. Also, ttyS0 was there too.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix it?