Linux hangs while Uncompressing

pritha.bhattacharya at tcs.com pritha.bhattacharya at tcs.com
Thu Dec 1 20:59:10 EST 2005

Hi All,

I have RAM version of U-Boot which is running on a board similar to
MPC8260. My memory map isas follows:

Staring address         Device          Size                  Memory
controller and CS

0000 0000
0800 0000
FFF0 0000
0F00 0000
3000 0000
3800 0000
4200 0000
5000 0000
FLASH (Boot)
FLASH (Code)
SSRAM
CPU internal registers
SDRAM
SDRAM
Framer
DSP 8102
1MB (512Kx16)
4 MB (1Mx16)
2 MB (512Kx36)
128 KB
128 MB (16Mx72)
128 MB (16Mx72)
1 MB
2 MB
BR0/OR0: CS0
BR1/OR1: CS1
BR2/OR2: CS2

BR3/OR3: CS3
BR4/OR4: CS4
BR5/OR5: CS5
BR6/OR6: CS6

I have downloaded Linux 2.4.25 kernel image through kermit. after
downloading the image in SDRAM location 0x30000000 and giving the command
bootm 0x30000000

 the prompt shows a message:

TCS-PIC-UBOOT=> loadb 0x30000000## Ready for binary (kermit) download to
0x30000000 at 57600 bps...

## Total Size      = 0x000936f6 = 603894 Bytes
## Start Addr      = 0x30000000
TCS-PIC-UBOOT=> bootm 0x30000000## Booting image at 30000000 ...
   Image Name:   Linux-2.4.25
   Image Type:   PowerPC Linux Kernel Image (gzip compressed)
   Data Size:    603830 Bytes = 589.7 kB
   Load Address: 00000000
   Entry Point:  00000000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
   Uncompressing Kernel Image ...

The system hangs here and is not able to uncompress the kernel any
further. I have checked in the FAQs provided in the denx's site, but could
not find anything similar to my case.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks & Regards,
Pritha Bhattacharya
Tata Consultancy Services Limited
Mailto: pritha.bhattacharya at tcs.com
Website: http://www.tcs.com

Notice: The information contained in this e-mail message and/or attachments to it may contain confidential or privileged information.   If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, use, review, distribution, printing or copying of the information contained in this e-mail message and/or attachments to it are strictly prohibited.   If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by reply e-mail or telephone and immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments.  Thank you