Platform devices on MPC8245

Mark Brown broonie at sirena.org.uk
Wed Aug 31 22:26:00 EST 2005

I'm having some trouble using the platform device support for the
MPC8245 using memory map B, set up using mpc10x_bridge_init().  When
that function registers the host bridge it registers addresses
0x80000000-0xfebfffff for the bridge but by default (with EUMB mapped to
MPC10X_MAPB_EUMB_BASE) the platform devices on the chip are also within
this address range.  The problem I'm seeing is that when
platform_device_register() comes to call request_resource() on the
devices that call fails because the addresses have already been
allocated to the PCI host bridge.

I'm sure I must be missing something really obvious about how this is
supposed to work but I can't for the life of me see what.  Changing the
platform code to use insert_resource() rather than request_resource()
allows the devices to register and be used but that seems rather too
drastic to be it.

Thanks for any help.