I2C for the 8270

Keith Henrickson Keith_Henrickson at net.com
Thu Aug 25 04:45:17 EST 2005

I am trying to get the 85xx driver in Linux 2.6.11 to work on the 8270,
which also has a CPM2.

I'm not sure if the driver itself works, as I cannot even get it to
fully load.

I have enabled the 'MPC (8xx and 8xxx) CPM I2C Interface' I2C Algorithm,
and the 'Motorola MPC8xx and MPC85xx CPM I2C' Hardware Bus.

So far, I have gotten it to create '/sys/bus/platform/drivers/fsl-i2c',
although there is nothing in this directory.  I get this to happen by
bypassing the device_register() call and just forcing the device to
i2c_cpm_add_bus().

What I do NOT get are the devices in /dev, or any evidence in /sys that
there is a device that SHOULD go in /dev.  Any ideas what I am missing?

The kernel messages that come out are as follows.
i2c /dev entries driver
device class 'i2c-dev': registering
bus i2c: add driver dev_driver
i2c-core: driver dev_driver registered.
fsl-cpm-i2c: CPM2 i2c driver
bus platform: add driver fsl-i2c
bus i2c: add driver eeprom
i2c-core: driver eeprom registered.
i2c-algo-cpm: CPM2 I2C algorithm module version 0.1 (Mar 22, 2005)