NO_CACHE and mmaped pages

Stephen Williams steve at icarus.com
Sat Aug 20 04:44:53 EST 2005

I think the answer is "Yes", but I want to get a second opinion.

I need memory that is mapped into user space (so that I can manage
it as a BIG heap) but is not cached by the CPU, a PPC405GPr running
kernel 2.4.30something.

A possible solution is to in my driver support mmap and implement the
nopage function. The pages that I create in the nopage will be allocated
by the consistent_alloc function, which returns pages marked as NO_CACHE,
and so should be uncached.

The question is, "Is this NO_CACHE status/flag preserved when it is
mapped into the user address space? So far as I can see browsing the
do_no_page function in memory.c, that bit is indeed preserved in the
mapping. Am I right?

Alternatively, is there a way to change a region of memory no
unpaged, a la mlock for locking pages? I would rather not keep a
table of page pointers for 256Meg of memory just so I can do a
consistent_free later:-(

http://www.icarus.com         and lines to code before I sleep,