pci_enable_device fails on MPC8541

Kumar Gala kumar.gala at freescale.com
Thu Aug 11 05:11:04 EST 2005

No problem.  I'm hunting around the problem, but trying to figure out
exactly where the bug is.  What's a little odd is that in 2.6.11 we
should have excluded all the devices that are on the VIA chipset.
However, in the logs you sent me we see those devices. Part of the
problem is that your TI DSP has its own P2P bridge on it.  Therefor
the bus numbers for the devices start changing around a bit.

What is CONFIG_85xx_PCI2 set to in your .config?

Can you send me the output of the following on the 8555 CDS:
cat /proc/ioports
cat /proc/iomem

Also, if you feel daring, grab the latest 2.6.13-rc6 kernel and build
it for 8555 CDS and see what happens.

Oh, is this card something standard or a custom thing?  The issue of
having a card with P2P bridge on it has come up more than once.
However, I'm not sure of any standard PC PCI cards do this (at least
none of the simple cards we have do).  I'd like to see if we can find
something that we could start testing with.

thanks

- kumar

On Aug 10, 2005, at 1:03 PM, Bizhan Gholikhamseh \(((bgholikh\))) wrote:

> Kumar,
> Sorry it took a while. I have attached the 8540 PCI boot log and
> /proc/pci. Also I found out the functions you mentioned are not
> used in
> my environment.
>
> Thanks,
> Bizhan

>>> proc_pci.txt: output of the "cat /proc/pci"