A configure error for samba3 on ppc

Clemens Koller clemens.koller at anagramm.de
Tue Aug 9 20:24:05 EST 2005

Hi, JohnsonCheng!

you wrote:
> When I configure samba3.0.10 on ppc as following command:
>
> CC=powerpc-linux-gcc AR=powerpc-linux-ar RANLIB=powerpc-linux-ranlib
> ./configure -host=powerpc-linux
>
> I got a configure error message as following:
> Configure: error: cannot run test program while cross compiling
> See 'config.log' for more details
>
> I think this is a samba configure bug, do anybody know how to pass it?

No, it's not a bug. It's exactly what the message trys to tell you.
Samba wants to do some tests. But as it's not a native build,
it doesn't want to execute itself for the tests. Because
samba might not run on a different platform as it was built for.

If you want to do the tests, you need to let to do it on the
target where it was built for and not where it was built on.

Samba works fine over here on ppc embedded systems.

Greets,

Clemens Koller
R&D Imaging Devices
Anagramm GmbH