New MPC5200 Eratta/ATA Bugs

Eric N. Johnson (ACD) ejohnson at acdstar.com
Tue Apr 26 05:22:56 EST 2005

Freescale just realeased a new version of the eratta (hardware bugs)
document for the MPC5200.  It was posted last week, and adds some pretty
significant problems to the FEC Ethernet and IDE/ATA sections.

Specifically, I'm wonder if Eratta ID 485 may be the cause of some of the
IDE issues we've been attributing to Bestcomm:

  "During the concurrent access of ATA DMA READ and PCI or LPC the
   ATA_ISOLATION signal can be incorrectly driven when ATA is paused."

Unfortunately, their proposed workaround isn't appropriate for many
cases.  They suggest that you not use "ATA_ISOLATION" and connect the ATA
device directly to the LP bus without any buffering.  This could lead to
serious bus integrity issues, especially if the ATA device is connected by
a ribbon cable.

Eric
Eric Johnson, Electrical Engineer
Advanced Communication Design