Linux booting problem when initializing flash file system

Robin Gilks robin.gilks at tait.co.nz
Thu Apr 21 15:20:17 EST 2005

Atit_Shah wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> 	I am using a board which has a ST Micro Electronics Flash
> (M29W640DB) and when booting the Linux Kernel I get the following error:
>
> jffs2_scan_eraseblock(): Magic bitmask 0x1985 not found at 0x00000000:
> 0x0020 instead
> jffs2_scan_eraseblock(): Magic bitmask 0x1985 not found at 0x00000004:
> 0x22df instead
> jffs2_scan_eraseblock(): Magic bitmask 0x1985 not found at 0x0000000c:
> 0x0008 instead
>
> Further such events for this erase block will not be printed
> JFFS2: Erase block at 0x00000000 is not formatted. It will be erased
> jffs2_scan_eraseblock(): Magic bitmask 0x1985 not found at 0x00020000:
> 0x0020 instead
> jffs2_scan_eraseblock(): Magic bitmask 0x1985 not found at 0x00020004:
> 0x22df instead
> jffs2_scan_eraseblock(): Magic bitmask 0x1985 not found at 0x0002000c:
> 0x0008 instead
>
> And it ends with................
>
> Cowardly refusing to erase blocks on filesystem with no valid JFFS2
> nodes
> Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 1f:00
> <0>Rebooting in 180 seconds..
>
> The reference board using an AMD flash works fine. I selected the ST
> Flash from make xconfig in Linux but the kernel crashes before it even
> calls start_kernel.
> Could somebody suggest wrong....
>
> Thanks
> Atit

If the M29W640DB has the same problem as the M28W640ECB that I've used,
then a fixup table entry may be required in drivers/mtd/cfi_cmdset_0001
to say that buffered write is not supported.

You don't say which kernel or mtd version you are using - I'm assuming
2.4 and an mtd about a year old!!

--
Robin Gilks
Senior Design Engineer          Phone: (+64)(3) 357 1569
PO Box 1645 Christchurch        Email : robin.gilks at tait.co.nz
New Zealand

addressee.  It is subject to copyright, is confidential and may be
lost by reason of this transmission.
other act on the email.