Interrupt prioritization on linux for ppc440

Eugene Surovegin ebs at ebshome.net
Tue Apr 19 03:25:32 EST 2005

On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 10:01:02AM -0700, Lawrence E. Bakst wrote:
> I just want to say that in certain applications critical interrupts
> can be put to good use. There are issues you have to deal with when
> you use them. I wonder if any of the people saying that they "really
> don't think it's worth it" have ever had to meet any real time
> interrupt latency constraints?

You know, it'd help if instead of some general statements, you gave
real example and explained, why default stuff doesn't work for you.

Also, it'd be nice if you explained how you dealt with infrastructure
problems I mentioned in my previous e-mail.

Answering your question about "real time interrupt latency
constraints", I have to ask what _exact_ latencies you need, and why
do you think Linux can provide hard real-time guarantees?

And yes, I work for company which makes VoIP hardware, and soft
real-time qualities of 2.4 Linux kernel (preempt, low-lat) are good
enough for us (~1-5 ms average scheduling latency), without any need
of critical interrupts.

--
Eugene