8xx v2.6 TLB problems and suggested workaround

Marcelo Tosatti marcelo.tosatti at cyclades.com
Fri Apr 8 21:07:25 EST 2005

Hi Dan,

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 10:09:58PM -0400, Dan Malek wrote:

> On Apr 7, 2005, at 3:38 PM, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
>
> >Would be nice to have someone from 8xx team look into this?
>
> I'll look into it and find some solution.

What do you envision as another solution?

We have two now:

1) _tlbie() on update_mmu_cache() surrounded by CONFIG_8xx #ifdef
Did you give up about it?

2) jump directly from DataTLBMiss to fault handler.
You seem to dislike it.

What else you think can be done?

> I suspect it is an interaction with the previous TLB miss and the behavior
> of the dcbst TLB look up.  Perhaps, if we ensure the
> TLB entry is not valid at the time of the dcbst, it will work.

Note that the TLB entry is _not valid_ at the time of the dcbst:

BDI>rds 824
SPR  824 : 0x10011f05    268508933
BDI>rds 825
SPR  825 : 0x000001e0          480
BDI>rds 826
SPR  826 : 0x00001f00         7936

bit 18 (valid bit) of SPR 826 is not set.

So even with the TLB invalid, dcbst misbehaves.