8xx v2.6 TLB problems and suggested workaround

Marcelo Tosatti marcelo.tosatti at cyclades.com
Fri Apr 8 05:38:46 EST 2005

Joakim,

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 10:35:30PM +0200, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> [...]

Yes, it is zero. That is because there is no pte entry for the page yet (DataStoreTLBMiss
sets the pte even if its zero). Thats when DataTLBError (EA present in TLB entry but valid
bit not set) gets called.

> > > Also DSISR: C2000000 looks strange and "impossible". Are you sure this value
> > > is correct?
> >
> > As defined by the PEM, bit 1 indicates "data-store error exception", bit 2
> > indicates:

I meant "bit 0 and bit 1".

> > "Set if the translation of an attempted access is not found in the primary hash
> > table entry group (HTEG), or in the rehashed secondary HTEG, or in the range of a
> > DBAT register (page fault condition); otherwise cleared."
> >
> > And bit 6 indicates a store operation (shouldnt be set).
>
> Yes, but bit 0 is also set and if I remember correctly(don't have the manual handy)
> it should always be zero?

Well, bit 0 and bit 1 are set.

> > > Don't understand why the "tlbie()" call works around the problem. Can you
> > > explain that a bit more?
> >
> > It must be because the TLB entry is now removed from the cache, which avoids
> > dcbst from faulting as a store.
> >
> > There must be some relation to the invalid present TLB entry and dcbst
> > misbehaviour.
> >
> > I didnt check what happens with the TLB after tlbie(), I should do that.
> > But I suppose it gets wiped off?
>
> Unless the pte gets populated(valid) before the next TLB miss I think you
> will repeat the same sequence that caused the error in the first place.
> So why does that work?

It does get populated.

The sequence is:

1)  userspace access triggers DataTLBMiss

2) DataTLBMiss sets TLB from Linux pte. At this stage pte entry is still
zeroed (pte table entry clear). Thats why PPN points to page "00000".

3) DataTLBError (TLB EA match but valid bit not set) - jumps to page fault
handler

4) do_no_page()
	- allocates a page
	- set pte accordingly
	- update_mmu_cache()  (dcbst access faults as a write)

So, there must be some relation over dcbst's misbehaviour and the _invalid_
zero RPN TLB entry.

Thing is dcbst is not supposed to fault as a store operation, from what PEM
indicates.

As I understand 8xx deviates from other PPC's in many aspects. Dan says:

"The PEM cache instructions are all implemented in a microcode that
uses the 8xx unique cache control SPRs.  Depending upon the state
of the cache and MMU, it seems in some cases the EA translation is
subject to a "normal" protection match instead of a load operation
match.

The behavior of these operations isn't consistent across all of the 8xx
processor revisions, especially with early silicon if people are still
using those.  During conversations with Freescale engineers, it seems
the only guaranteed operation was to use the 8xx unique SPRs, but
I think I only did that in 8xx specific functions."

I'll check what the tlbie does precisely (tomorrow). I suppose it wipes the TLB
entry completly.

Would be nice to have someone from 8xx team look into this?

> > > Could be, but even if it isn't you are in trouble when dcbX instr.
> > > generates DTLB Misses/Errors Sooner or later you will end up with
> > > strange SEGV or hangs.
> >
> > Hangs due to the dcbX misbehaviour wrt DAR setting, you mean? (which your
> > patch corrects).
>
> Yes.
>

> > Yep, that makes sense.

> > > None that I know.