pte_update and 64-bit PTEs on PPC32?

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Thu Apr 7 21:15:20 EST 2005

> Ben, I agree with you about having the flags in a single word so we can
> lock them properly.  In the short term it appears that the issue I'm
> running into is explicit with ptep_get_and_clear():
>
> static inline pte_t ptep_get_and_clear(struct mm_struct *mm, unsigned
> long addr,
>                                         pte_t *ptep)
> {
>          return __pte(pte_update(ptep, ~_PAGE_HASHPTE, 0));
> }
>
> It appears that we should be returning the pte that was passed in,
> before its modified?  (seems a little silly to me, why bother, the
> caller could do this

No, we should return the PTE that was there before the change
atomically. It can't be done by the caller as if the caller was just
reading the PTE, there would be a race where the PTE could still change
between what you read and what you update. It has to be an atomic
operation.

Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh at kernel.crashing.org>