pte_update and 64-bit PTEs on PPC32?

Kumar Gala kumar.gala at freescale.com
Wed Apr 6 16:51:08 EST 2005

Paul,

I've tracked down a bug I've been having to the fact that pte_update
assumes a pte is a unsigned long.  I need to look into what the exact
implications this has.  I was wondering what the thoughts were with
respect to how this is suppose to work properly on 440 with its 64-bit
pte?  I'm looking at a 64-bit pte for some Freescale book-e parts as we
move to 36-bit physical address support.

The problem I found was ptep_get_and_clear() would return back only a
32-bit value and thus we loose any information in the upper 32-bits.  I
found the call in sys_mprotect ... -> change_pte_range ->
ptep_get_and_clear()

Will provide some update on this tomorrow.

- kumar