Flat OF Device Tree for ppc32 [was: Platform bus/ppc sys model...]

Jakob Viketoft jakob.viketoft at bitsim.se
Mon Apr 4 21:08:45 EST 2005

Hello Andrei!

Andrei Konovalov wrote:
> Hi Jakob!
>
> Yes, Jon Loeliger's implementation plan looks OK for me
> (as far as I understood Jon's posting; having look at
> the current patch would be great). And I could participate
> in the implementation for Xilinx if needed too, but don't
> object if you do it by yourself (at the moment, I know
> little about the OF device tree, so just testing the patch
> on ML300 would be fine for me as well).

Great! I could start and ask for assistance when needed... :)

> Should we rely on U-Boot to give that device tree structure to
> the kernel? If I got it correct this is how the Freescale team
> plans to proceed. Jon (Masters), are you going the same way?
> Anyone using arch/ppc/boot/simple bootwrapper with his Virtex 2 Pro
> board? If we drop Virtex 2 Pro support in arch/ppc/boot and move to
> U-Boot would it hurt anyone?
>
> Thanks,
> Andrei

My end intention is to write something that both builds the OF device
tree from a listed number of (ip-)devices and a small FPGA-suitable
bootloader (as a small prog separated from the kernel). It'll probably
end up being an entire "Linux on Xilinx" howto... I say we can drop the
simple bootwrapper once all the stages of the OF adaptation is in place
(which might not happen overnight :).

Cheers!

	/Jakob