throughput question

Matt Porter mporter at kernel.crashing.org
Tue Sep 28 23:50:26 EST 2004

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 03:33:16PM +0200, Marc Leeman wrote:
> I see some mails passing over the list about gigabit interfaces, so I
> wonder if there are any suggestions as to what processor/interface
> should be used for high througput.
>
> I am currently working on a 8245 based board with 2.4.27 e100 driver
> and when taking in (and processing streams), only about 50 Mbps can be
> handled: about half of the time is based in kernel space (handling
> interrupts).
>
> The eepro100 driver was much worse.
>
> As a result, I am a bit wondering about the higher bitrates. How much
> do you achieve on tests with what hardware?

What benchmark do you use to measure throughput? Since you are
processing streams sounds like you have an application-based
benchmark rather than one of the typical ones. You can probably
show the good throughput if you pick another benchmark, but it
probably won't answer your system design question.

-Matt