uboot and ppc405

Peter Ryser Peter.Ryser at xilinx.com
Tue Oct 26 15:39:30 EST 2004

>This appnote assumes that he's using the ML300, has the Montavista
>tree, and a few other general assumptions that might well not be true
>here, but is otherwise interesting if they decide to heed our
>suggestions of using the SystemACE in the design.

The app note concentrates on one example, however, it is generic enough
and applies to different setups. The MontaVista Linux preview kit for
the ML300 is free but you can use other distributions if you wish to do
so. The only thing you need for u-boot is the PowerPC cross-compiler.
You can use the cross-compiler that ships with EDK, however, I do not
recommend it as it is set up for a different environment than for Linux
and/or U-Boot and it will expect files like boot.o and libxil.a...

Other boards than the ML300 can be used, too. If you look at the
repository layout in U-Boot there is space for other boards than the
ML300. I'm sure Wolfgang will appreciate contributions and ports to
different boards.

>btw Peter, I've been moaning about the weird interrupt behaviour of
>the SysACE on e.g. the Memec board for some time (see archives for
>various other people's experiences too) - and I've spoken to several
>folks at Xilinx without getting very far. If there's a fundamental
>problem then it probably makes sense for us to help get it fixed.

Hmm, I'm not aware of any interrupt problems with System ACE CF. For
Linux it works for a long time unchanged as published in the
linuxppc_2_4_devel and linuxppc-2.4 repositories. I'm operating my own
web and mail server on a V2P based board using a 1GB MicroDrive through
System ACE CF as the root and swap filesystems. The system is up and
running for months now. No special tricks or hacks just a
straight-forward EDK FPGA design with a MVL kernel.

There is now a MVL preview kit for the Memec board. You might want to
try it out and see whether the problems you observe persist.

Looking at the postings back in April I can only say that I never saw
any similar problems. Please let me know if you have a specific test
case where you see problems and I'll be glad to look at it.

The implementation of System ACE CF functionality in U-Boot is written
for polled operation. In that case Stephen Williams wrote the actual
driver and we decided not to publish our own driver but reuse his.

- Peter