MPC850 and GDB help

Ryan Wilkins ryan at elevated-networks.com
Mon Oct 25 08:31:37 EST 2004

Ahh yes.. I wanted to get u-boot loaded into RAM and running from
there.  The reason being, I'm having a bit of a hard time writing a
flash chip definition file in the MPCBDM Flash.def format for the Intel
DA28F320J5 flash chip.  My thought was to boot u-boot from ram and then
see if it had better luck at detecting my flash chip and then try to
coerce it into writing u-boot to flash for me.

As for the "running Linux from ram" thing it was another fleeting
thought.  Something along the lines of if I can't get u-boot to run
from ram maybe I could get Linux to boot from ram and then go from
there.

Anyway, as you can tell I'm in way over my head but I'll figure
something out.  I've got a bit of raw programming experience with 8-bit
micros but nothing 32-bit.  I hate to have this MPC850 sitting here
doing nothing.

Answer me this if you would.. Does the MPC850 have some sort eeprom or
parameter RAM on-chip that would be remembered in the event of a hard
reset or power cycle and preclude the chip from booting from flash if
certain registers were changed?
I'm looking through the manual for the 850 now but don't see anything
jumping out at me.