Floating point error on a MPC8280 based board

Dan Malek dan at embeddededge.com
Sat Oct 16 07:21:05 EST 2004

On Oct 15, 2004, at 4:59 PM, annamaya wrote:

> When I try to reboot my system on a MPC8280 eval
> board, I see the floating point error. Does anyone
> know why is this happening?

It's trying to jump to a restart location in the boot rom.
It fetches a bad instruction that attempts to execute
as a floating point instruction.

> bash-2.05b# reboot -f
> Restarting system
> floating point used in kernel (task=cf458000,
> pc=ff000104)

This program counter is a typical warm restart boot
rom location.  Change the kernel reboot code to jump
to the proper place in your boot rom or force a restart
in some way.

	-- Dan