Booting Linux using a PlanetCore BootLoader

annamaya annamaya at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 14 00:49:09 EST 2004

Thanks for the reply Dan. Just before I got your mail,
I was going through the fcc ethernet driver from
mvista and I noticed the BCSR hack code to make the
PHY work on an EP8260. I went back to the manual for
the EP8280 and realized that they did something
similar on this board, just as you guessed. I will add
code to manage the PHY using these bits later.

Meanwhile, this board also has BCSR bits to control
enabling and powering on the PHY. I was able to add a
bit of code to  my ethernet driver and I can now see
the blinking lights on the ethernet port, similar to
the ones I see during tftp transfers from the boot
monitors. Interestingly, the boot monitor turns off
all the PHYs while the ethernet port is not being
access from the boot monitor. I fail to understand the
reasoning.

Anyways, I am able to enable and power the PHY device
and it looks like the port is seeing ethernet
activity. But my driver doesn't work and complains
about a TX timeout. I am sure I am missing something.
Can you suggest something that I could try?

Thank you.