Creating rootfs

Marc Leeman marc.leeman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 17:54:34 EST 2004

> commercial tools at this point. Otherwise, go pay Monta, DENX, or one
> of the other embedded developer supporting companies for a flashy
> solution.

The MV solution is neither small nor flashy.  The filesystem is too
large and contains relatively much crud. If you use it as a
development environment, you can use it as a starting point, but I
would not recommend for a final solution.

If you know what you are doing, roll your own distribution, if you
have little GNU/Linux experience, you can use commercial embedded
distrib vendors. Of course, if you ask unbiassed vendor advice, they
will always claim that you _need_ their distrib (mainly because of
reasons which have little to do with technical ones).

I would recommend crosscompiling your toolchain (e.g. makeroot) and
start from there. There are also several good howtos for debian based
packages.

--
ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul