OCP vs. platform_device (was Marvell 64360/64340 GigE driver for MIPS and PPC....)

Matt Porter mporter at kernel.crashing.org
Sat Oct 9 06:42:50 EST 2004

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 11:01:11AM -0700, Mark A. Greer wrote:
> Moving to a wider PPC audience...
>
> Mark
> --
>
> Russell King wrote:

> >>Fine... but if you're doing that instead of extending platform_device to
> >>meet your needs, make sure you remove platform_device while you're at it
> >>and convert its users to OCP.
> >>

> >There are a lot of users of platform devices, and this now includes
> >virtually everything in the input layer.  This would be a very large
> >amount of work to rip out platform devices.

<snip a bunch of valid points>

> >So I think ripping out platform devices and throwing in something
> >which is very different is a backwards step.

As I've mentioned a couple time now on #mklinux, we should be
moving to platform_device on PPC.  When I moved OCP forward from
2.4 it was because a bunch of work was done to fix it up there
by BenH and the 4xx stuff had been using it for a long time before
platform_device was around. There's a bunch of "backend" type info
that is PPC subarch specific that is encoded in the .additions field
of the OCP defs that can be moved to the platform_data field.  That's
really where most of the important stuff for OCP is at.  We really
just need somebody with time to convert all the subarches to add
platform_devices and drivers to gather info from them. I may or
may not have time to accomplish this myself in the near future.

The point here is that I'm 100% behind converting from ocp_device
to platform_device as long as whoever does it preserves the
rest of the functionality (which should mostly can accomplished
by moving the additions info to platform_data. Maybe it's only
4xx that needs this so other PPC subarches can convert possibly
with a little less work.

-Matt