Thread cancellation problem

Stefan Nickl Stefan.Nickl at kontron.com
Fri Nov 12 20:23:30 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 08:40 +0100, Branko on dkts wrote:
> Hello group!
>
> I would be most grateful for your help.
>
> I am developing a Linux application for ppc. The ppc Linux
> distribution I am using is ELDK 3.0. I am having a problem with
> canceling a thread blocked on read. The thread tries to read data from
> a HDLC device.

First, this is the wrong list for this question as it is concerned
with kernel development, not application developement.

Second, you must prevent the thread/process to get stuck in the
first place. Depending on what the driver supports, you should
try to open(2) the HDLC device with the O_NONBLOCK flag and modifiy
the read/write handling according to non-blocking mode,
or use a select(2) before every read/write to see if the actual call
would block (and not call read/write in this case, of course).

Regards,

--
Stefan Nickl
Kontron Modular Computers