Handling power failure - MPC5200

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Nov 6 01:32:18 EST 2004

In message <OF5D3B44B5.3530BFCD-ON00256F43.0035B584-00256F43.004E2C6C at marel.is> you wrote:

> > Use the standard methods: use the CF card read-only  (many  CF  cards
> > can  be  damaged  [beyond  repair]  when  you power off while a write
> > operation is in progress).
>
> Is this an acknowledged fact by CF manufacturers or based on experiece ?

You mean acknowledged officially in writing on letterhead paper?  No.
Inofficially: yes.

Also many people have confirmed this behaviour, at least on the cheap
"standard" (versus "industrial grade") CF cards.

I recommend to specifically ask your CF card vendor / distributor for
a confirmation and guarantee (in writing) that it is safe to turn off
power while writing to the device. Guess what you will get?

Best regards,

See us @ Embedded/Electronica Munich, Nov 09 - 12, Hall A.6 Booth 513
Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"The whole world is about three drinks behind."     - Humphrey Bogart